Friday, August 6, 2010

Homeward Bound




Oh. Dear. We are going to be in home in four days. This little bloggy-poo has been harder than we thought to keep up with so here is a brief synopsis of our most recent untold adventures:

Nashville:

Keeley says: Nashville continues to be one of my most favorite places. It was so glorious to see so many old friends (and for those of you I missed, I miss you so much!!!) Deanna and Rick were rockstar hosts, we were fed well and constantly caffeinated, not to mention that they are some of the most inspiring souls to be around. Highlights of the week for me included: touring the city with Jer, lunch at Calypso Café (ohhhh Lucayan salad, you are magical) playing in a round at the Bluebird and getting to also be a fan in the audience at the Bluebird, canoeing down the Duck River, and watching Jeremy make friends with Ben Folds at the Frothy Monkey Coffee Shop the day we left town. These are all clearly abbreviated explanations, the week was full of heartwarming and laughing and deep gratitude to just be there.

I, Jeremy Hogan, love Nashville. I think the Bluebird might be my new favorite place to watch live music. Hours of just real, amazing music, without the L.A. pretense…I mean a night of Keeley and Lori Mckenna…just ridiculous. Charles…you are a stud…not only did I love your music, you set up a fantastic night…thank you for everything!! Other things I learned about Nash…Rick is a legit chef…his food was amazing and he and Deanna have a beautiful home and were great hosts. Meeting their wonderful family and drinking Deanna’s fantastic iced coffee was so so fun. I also have a complete mental image now of every place Keeley has ever walked in Nashville…I think she was born to be a tour guide. Meeting Keeleys friends and enjoying the local fare kept us busy and canoeing down the Duck River with the wonderful newlyweds, Matt and Emily Mandango was a highlight. I’ve heard so many great things about Nashville, but this quick visit exceeded my expectations and I cant wait to come back.

Louisville:

Keeley says:

-lovely lovely city!

-Derby City Espresso was a pretty interesting place, not sure how I got booked there given the night was pretty much rock and roll opened by little old me on the guitar

-thank you Keith Kirkland for hotwire.com and the whole new world of discount hotelling!

-why is Kentucky on eastern time?

Things Jeremy learned:

-Apparently, the fleur-de-lis is not only the symbol of New Orleans, but also the official seal of Louisville…who knew…not me…and I’m sorry for offending you Louisvillians with my ignorance.

-Louisville is not afraid to mix soft singer songwriters with pure rock and roll…bitchin!!

-Louisvillians like good beer…also bitchin!!

-Louisville can cook a mean breakfast!

-Gonna have to visit again some day and remember not to bring up New Orleans

Indianapolis:

Keeley says:

-downtown is absolutely charming. kind of reminded me of trafalger square in London.

-sometimes getting a room through hotwire.com means that you will be put in the room right next to the pool and right across from the conference room that is hosting a giant family reunion beginning at 9am.

-music scene in Indy also quite eclectic.

Jeremy:

-surprisingly good Mexican food and margs!!

-surprisingly beautiful downtown.

-sorry Indianapolis for being so surprised

-little girls asking for Keeleys autograph…super cute

Chicago:

Keeley says:

-Lake Shore Drive is so scenic and a really great way to be welcomed into the Windy City

-traffic there sucks!

-Lake Bluff and Lake Forest are so so so cute!!! Fantastic time was had hanging with the Scheutz’s, my stomach hurt all night from laughing so much

-there is so much to see in downtown

-one of my favorite things I saw was how happy Jeremy was to try different pizzarias

-the view from the John Hancock building is pretty ridiculous

-Wrigley Field is magical and I’m not even a baseballologist

-apparently Obama was there the day we left. terrible timing!!

Jeremy says

-the Scheutz and all of Lake Bluff is so so charming…our one night with them was so so fun…p.s. birthday cake ice cream is the way to go.

-surprise stay at a historic hotel in downtown Chicago...day of pizza and exploration…best views of downtown…game at Wrigley…could there be a better day…could there be a better girlfriend…I think not!!

-Pizza...deep dish pizza…amazing deep dish pizza!!!

-Pizza!!!

-more Pizza!!!

-amazing architecture, beautiful city and a history of planning…so cool

Minneapolis:

Keeley:

-the drive through Wisconsin was so picturesque and so very beautiful

-people in Wisconsin must love Journey because they were on the radio every 5 minutes

-Minneapolis and St. Paul were seriously so enjoyable I feel like I could live there

-The Big Ginger at The Local is one of the best drinks I’ve ever had

-long talks with my boyfriend about life make the world go round

-can I PLEASE have a Midwestern accent??

-Lake Calhoun is amazing. (see bullet point #3)

-last minute stop at the local co-op, delish local, organic snacks for the road! YAY!

-absolutely loved driving through the Twin Cities imagining my Noni growing up there

Jeremy thinks everything that Keeley thinks…Jameson and ginger ale…duh…amazing conversation with the one you love-double duh… clean, amazing city full of nice people with cool accents…I mean all this equals a great time…I could definitely see myself walking the streets of the twin cities again some day…who knows!

Montana:

Keeley:

-my boyfriend is a rockstar driver!!

-oh, what do you know, North Dakota loves Journey too

-waking up to the sun rising over the Bighorn Mountains is truly good for the soul

-Fred Burr canyon smells the same everytime we get up there

-our car is a covered in nasty bugs

-I can’t wait for the next few days here….so much to do and see and so little time

-Liason’s Coffee Shop in downtown Hamilton, MT is the bomb. The owner is the sweetest lady with the cutest daughter and these Italia sodas are gooooood.

Jeremy thinks he is becoming obsessed with Montana.

-and the Midwest is legit obsessed with Journey…I mean allll thheee tiiiimmme.

-am radio at 2am in North Dakota is really really weird

-Driving through the 43 in Montana reminded me of why I believe in a God…breathtaking.

-pulling up to the shack in the Bitterroot Mts.-I could feel a rush of joy come over me. This is only my second visit here, but I already love it.

So, that’s all for now folks. Our crazy, glorious trip will be over in like 4 days……I’m in denial about that for sure.

1 comment:

  1. So excited to read about your adventures...have been missing reading your blog :). Can't wait to see pictures of all the places you've talked about. Four days..have you really been gone for a month already.....You've both been missed........Enjoy and stay safe....

    ReplyDelete