Monday, July 26, 2010

Southern Comfort


Jer and I are sitting at Fido’s in Hillsboro Village. I used to come here several times a week when I was a Nashvillian and being that my boyfriend is coffee-expert and an aficionado of the café, I couldn’t wait to take him here and show off my stomping ground.

Driving into Nashville I felt a surge of joy. As happy as I am to be back in California, there is something so homey and comforting and exciting about being in Music City. It’s beautiful here. It’s charming and quaint, it’s green and rolling hills, it’s brick and steeples, it’s southern hospitality. We are staying with Deanna and Rick, two of my faves. Deanna was my songwriting teacher when I was at Vandy and my subsequent mentor for everything from lyrics to life when I graduated. We were greeted last night with a huge helping of homemade pesto sauce and aged cheeses followed by a typical culinary masterpiece a la Rick. Charles, Wendy and their glorious daughter Serena joined in for supper and it was really a perfect night.

So far this morning at Fido’s I’ve just been trying to coordinate with all the people I want to visit. I’m so so so excited to see you all.

We left Noni and Papa’s on Sunday morning after a brief adventure with a flat tire the night before. (We are fine and fully inflated). As I have since I was a little kid I felt the tears welling up as we waved goodbye to them. They are just so dear to my heart.

We decided to skip New Orleans in favor of saving money and time on the road so we hightailed it to Little Rock instead. The drive up to Arkansas was really quite picturesque. We took the lessor travelled Interstate 79 out of Texas instead of the 35 and it was so so pretty. We winded along east Texas and into Louisiana and finally, the Natural State. I feel kind of bad admitting how surprised we were that is was so pretty, but I guess we weren’t the only ones. At the hotel there was a brochure that said something like ‘If you’re like all our other visitors you were probably surprised by the natural beauty here!” Yes, yes we were.

Jer woke me up with coffee on Sunday morning and the day was magical! (thanks for all the warm and sweet birthday wishes everyone!!! so so kind!) We cruised around Little Rock and hopped on I-40 for the drive up to Nash. We took a detour in Memphis and walked around Beale Street. Jer was realllllly excited to see the Mississippi River (which he has nicknamed the Mississip). The drive continued to be gorgeous and soothing and welcoming. And now were are in Nash until Friday and I can’t wait to show him every single thing I love about it.

It’s still so surreal that we are on this trip and getting to explore and see everything that we are. I just feel so thankful for every minute.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to have stories to tell for a long long time. I really enjoy reading your adventures...so glad you mentioned the flat tire after the fact and that all is ok...:) continue to be safe.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy slooooooooowwwww down your driving to fast I can't keep up.:-)I'm a post behind. This pic reminds me of when I was a kid on vacation riding in the camper up on the top bed looking out the front windows, awwww memories. Makes me want to go on a long road trip like you. I'm happy to see your happy and really enjoying life and finnaly doing what you want,it sounds like your doing so much I don't know what keeps you going, I'm tired for you just reading all you did so far. We have always talked about a road trip like this with the two of us, now you did it with the one you really love :-). Now you know what I grew up seeing and maybe understand why I love this country so much. I miss you guys and love you, drive safely, I keep you in my prayers. See you on the 18th or 19th. P.S. You were missed dearly on the Backpack trip.

    ReplyDelete