Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stairway to Magic

Our adventures in Santa Fe continued with gusto after our last post. Not more that 4 hours later dear Jer came down with some kind of 24 hour flu/food poisoning/something bad situation and spent his entire night at the KOA barfing. It was one of the greatest tragedies I've ever witnessed. As soon as I could the next morning I relocated us to a hotel with a nice, cozy bed, air conditioning and shade and a bathroom with great proximity. We spent most of yesterday watching an NCIS marathon on USA which to be honest was pretty awesome as I'm obsessed those kinds of shows. Jer ate a slice of pizza for din last night so I knew we were back in biz.
We woke up this morning and headed north the the Bandelier National Monument (see the pic to the left- Jer made me post a pic of myself this time FYI) The monument contains the ruins of a Puebloan community dating back to the 12 and 1300's. The surrounding canyon walls are actually a type of volcanic rock called Tuff that is evidently easy to manipulate and as such these Pueblo people built homes in the sides of the cliffs. There are several ladders leading up into these cliff dwellings, the longest taking you up 140 feet. The views were spectacular and the feel inside of these dwellings was also amazing- the ceilings still charred with black smoke from long ago. It was a great day to be outside and to explore and the monument was just plain cool.
After a giant Coke at the visitor center we loaded back into the car and headed south, finally leaving Santa Fe. We ended up in Roswell. This is a very interesting place. They are really proud of the alien stuff. The street lamps are even in the shape of alien heads. I haven't noticed anything other worldly yet except that the hotels here are all pretty expensive given the fact we are basically in the middle of nowhere. We're staying in a Motel 6 and I'm telling you, the bed comforter is THE ugliest thing I've ever seen. It's all colors of neon blue with all these random animals on it. I took a great of pic of Jer holding the Motel 6 Welcome Book while pointing at the bed and I wanted that to be the picture for this post but he wouldn't let me.
We have two more days of adventuring in New Mexico before we reach Texas.. I can only imagine all the glory that awaits.

2 comments:

  1. I have this little feeling that Jeremy got sick so he could sleep in a nice bed with air conditioning, rather than a KOA......jk....I'm sure he'd rather sleep amongst the stars. We have had record highs the last couple of days so I can only imagine how hot it must be in New Mexico. I think it was fair that you post of picture of yourself....Jeremy has all the glory...:) Sounds like you're getting in a lot of sight seeing and exercise. Hugs and kisses for the both of you.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're climbing half dome....Ya know I could have been your driver......I'm now a follower of your blog....so where are the blogs? I expect daily readings..........

    Be safe...I pray for you daily!

    We are enjoying an afternoon with Heather and Aaron....they both say hello....we all want to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete